Welcome Readers!

Welcome to the Mystic Blog of the only Mystic Nymph! I hope you have a blast reading my thoughts, and I hope you drop by again!

Marquee

I'll let you in a little revelation about my favorite usernames in my virtual sites. First is about my Mikimoto Angel pen name. Mikimoto is a famous brand of pearl accessories in America. I first saw that brand in Vogue Magazine. I got mesmerized by that label, and I thought of using it. I just added Angel from my name "Angela". Thus, the formation of Mikimoto Angel.

For my other pen name Mystic Nymph, the word mystic really came from the show Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. I used to be so hooked to that show. I am also obsessed with mythologies, and nymphs are mythical creatures depicted as beautiful young women who are considered as guardians of objects and places in nature. Thus, the evolution of Mystic Nymph.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Invigorating the Soul (Rock Music)

I’m a rockphile. I’ve been arming myself with hardcore music ever since. I love rock music, but I don’t even know how to play at least one musical instrument. Whenever someone finds out that I actually listen to some hardcore anthems, I’m instantly asked whether I can play the guitar or whatsoever. I feel so embarrassed answering that question. Do I really need to show that I could jam with a band just to prove that I’m a rock fanatic? I apologize for getting emotional again.

I’ve been devoted to rock music since third year high school. I was fifteen years old then. That time, I used to listen to Pinoy Pop Rock songs, which I loathe now. Good thing someone introduced me to the Home of Nu Rock, NU 107. It’s my ultimate favorite radio station. But a couple of months ago, its management decided to stop the operations. That’s one of the saddest news I’ve got last year. I hope they’ll come back with a bang someday.

Home of NU Rock.

Because of NU 107, I got familiar with some foreign bands like Taking Back Sunday, Anberlin, Shiny Toy Guns, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones and City Sleeps; and local bands like Urbandub, Typecast, Faspitch, Franco, Queso and some Red Horse Muziklaban Bands. I kept up with this station because it gives me additional information on the rock bands I follow the most. I never dare to miss out a single day without having my fix of Stairway to Seven, NU’s daily countdown on the most requested rock songs. The Remote Control Weekend was another I program I frequented in NU. Avid listeners can request for songs of different rock genres guaranteed to blow their ears out.

My enthusiasm for rock music grew fonder when I met my boyfriend, Ciovic. He was the drummer of an underground post-hardcore band from Cotabato City. He really had a great taste for rock. He just doesn’t like the songs he adores, he plays them as well. As what one of his friends told me, he is a double-edged drummer. Of course as his girlfriend, I couldn’t help but be blown away with what he can do. He’s that good, in fact he is the best drummer I’ve ever seen play. He can perfectly perform tracks from As I Lay Dying, Saosin, Bullet for my Valentine, Mudvayne, Funeral for a Friend, Valley of Chrome and from other heavy metal royalties. Is that enough to bloat your ego, Mr. Ciovic David Sol Balabbo?

Taken almost three years ago.

I am really not much of a screamo fan. I feel somehow battered whenever I listen to songs that are full scream and full grunge. I just like to listen to songs whose lyrics are clear. A rock song can still be a hot stuff with less scream and more hardcore breakdowns. That is why I couldn’t get enough of A Day to Remember, Asking Alexandria, Escape the Fate, Eyes Set to Kill, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Chevelle, Katatonia and A Skylit Drive. I can play their songs nonstop at top volume!

Just last 2009, I found out that some of my favorite rock bands recorded a compilation of their pop songs cover. The album is called Punk Goes Pop. I wasn’t able to download their first album, but I have the second and the latest one. There are also some pop cover songs that were recorded, but are not included in the said album. If only pop songs are just played the Punk Goes Pop way, I would definitely be a party animal. No doubt! The pop versions are terrific. Superb, I have to say! Hardcore bands made those pop songs sound way better! I suggest you listen to A Day to Remember’s Over My Head, The Word Alive’s Heartless, Woe is Me’s Tik Tok and Red Summer Tape’s Hot n Cold. You’ll know what I mean.

Punk Goes Pop rocks!

I love rock music because not everyone likes it. I don’t like listening to songs that are everyone’s favorite. I like songs that are loved by few. But don’t get me wrong. I don’t listen to rock songs to signify my alienation from the government, and to signify my angst against the society. I even don’t have the slightest feeling of any of those two that I’ve just mentioned. I listen to rock songs, because I just like it. Period. But of course I still have some light and easy music in my play list from Aqualung, Metric, The Bird and the Bee, 311, Tori Amos, Rilo Kiley and The Pipettes. That is to balance the emotions I get from my library of music. With that, I would say music makes me sane, because music is LOVE! J

All images in this post are not intended for copyright infringement.

2 comments:

scarletswalk said...

what more can i say? rock rocks!

Mikimoto Angel said...

wow! you love rock too? we rock! hahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...