Welcome Readers!

Welcome to the Mystic Blog of the only Mystic Nymph! I hope you have a blast reading my thoughts, and I hope you drop by again!

Marquee

I'll let you in a little revelation about my favorite usernames in my virtual sites. First is about my Mikimoto Angel pen name. Mikimoto is a famous brand of pearl accessories in America. I first saw that brand in Vogue Magazine. I got mesmerized by that label, and I thought of using it. I just added Angel from my name "Angela". Thus, the formation of Mikimoto Angel.

For my other pen name Mystic Nymph, the word mystic really came from the show Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. I used to be so hooked to that show. I am also obsessed with mythologies, and nymphs are mythical creatures depicted as beautiful young women who are considered as guardians of objects and places in nature. Thus, the evolution of Mystic Nymph.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

What I Just Learned From STS Class


STS means Science Technology and Society (MST 4). This is a subject wherein we're expected "to understand and appreciate the character and functions of science and technology and their interrelationships with society from a historical perspective; to be able to anticipate and comprehend the impacts and implications of scientific and technological developments to structure of societies and to day-to-day living; and lastly, to understand the key role of science and technology in social equity." - Prof. Verna Marie Monsanto-Hearne.

Before I go on with the things I would like to share to you, I want you to watch this heart-wrenching video of Judson Levasheff who suffered from Krabbe Disease. See how inspiring his life is to everyone.




"Krabbe disease is a rare, genetic, incurable, terminal disorder. It is one of several known leukodystrophies: genetic diseases that progressively destroy the white matter of the brain." Read more about this desolating sickness here. If want to learn more things about Judson's life, this is the site you must visit -- The Story of Judson.

Upon watching this video, I couldn't help but shed some tears. Judson remained bubbly despite his condition. You see, every parent wants a healthy and normal child. It's just sad to know that a smart kid like Jud only lived for a short while in this world. I would like to see it in a positive light because if I were Jud's parent, I wouldn't want him to suffer any longer even though it means losing him forever. My happy memories of him will forever be in my heart and mind.

This sad truth leads me to what I've just learned from my STS class. The last reporter talked about Genetic Testing. It is a DNA-based test that identifies changes in chromosomes, genes and proteins. Furthermore, Ixion Biotech explains that genetic tests are done to examine the DNA molecules themselves. Scientists try to find modified and mutated sequences in the DNA to explain the different diseases and conditions. We may wish to be tested if:

There is a family history of one specific disease.

They show symptoms of a genetic disorder,

They are concerned about passing on a genetic problem to their children.


There are also five types of Genetic Testing: (1) Carrier Screening for couples (2) Prenatal Screening for the fetus (3) Forensics/Identity Screening (4) Late On-set Disorder for adult diseases and the most important, (5) the Newborn Screening for infants. We've found out that there is actually an "Act Promulgating a comprehensive policy and a national system for ensuring newborn screening" here in the Philippines, and it's called Republic Act No. 9288 or The Newborn Screening System Law. This video will explain to us "what newborn screening is, its purpose, the test procedure, and what parents need to do if retesting is necessary." This video is a property of March of Dimes.




Newborn Screening (NBS) should be practiced for every newborn within three days of his birth to know what has to be done if in case the infant has certain harmful or potentially fatal disorders like in Jud's case, the Krabbe Disease. This test involves sticking the foot of the child for blood. With this blood test, doctors can often tell whether newborns have certain conditions that could eventually cause problems. Babies need to undergo NBS for five main disorders, namely: Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) Deficiency, Congenital Hypothyroidism, Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, Galactosemia and Phenylketonuria. Check out how these diseases can affect the babies normal processes and functions here.

Spoken like a geek? Thanks to these virtual references:


This is my take on Genetic Testing. I firmly believe in this test's promise to help predict risks of future diseases and to assist in choosing the proper medication or diagnosis. It is also an integral part of everyone's health care. However, in a third world country like the Philippines, I think Genetic Testing is still a hype of the rich. If we talk about the present time, only the well-off families can afford this. How about the financially disadvantaged? We all know that scientific tests require huge amount of money. They're way too costly, as they may also need re-testing if necessary. The impoverished ones also have the right for a healthy life, and monetary constraints shouldn't get in the way. My point? Affordable genetic tests should be supported by our government. Needless to say, they must also ensure the safety and quality of Genetic Testing. With that, I rest my case. Bow.

The visuals used in this post are not intended for copyright infringement.

5 comments:

ice2kill said...

We also had this topic reported by my classmate during our STS class, plus it was even elaborated in our biotechnology subject. Indeed, genetic testing is interesting and will give promising result to the world of medicine specifically in pharmacogenomics. But I believe that it also faces a lot of critics and issues especially with the religious sector. On the part where they have to use other animals or human zygotes for a specific test,and tons of them die. They said it's tantamount to murder

Tine said...

wow! very informative and very well said. i am PRO about the genetic testing for it lessens the possibility of acquiring rare diseases. kumbaga pwedeng pigilan. kaso un nga... not everyone can afford it. i guess it's just right that the government should do more efforts about the New born screeing...

The Internet Garbage said...

I had never heard of this, so I really learned something valuable from your blog. Terribly sad that this beautiful baby was so ill :( I don't know how I could ever deal with that if I were a parent. And he was so brave and happy!

The Internet Garbage

Mikimoto Angel said...

Ice: Thanks for sharing some insights and new terminologies, Ice. Pharmacogenomics is my blind spot, but because of you I've learned about it. :-) Thanks!

Tine and The Internet Garbage: I appreciate your thoughts a lot, and I thank you for dropping by. :-)

The Cat Hag said...

This is such a sad post, but it's good that such information is getting out there.

And yes, governments should definitely make genetic testing mandatory during pregnancy.


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...